Comme Des Garçons is back with a floral fragrance for Summer 2015. Known as …
7 of the most common men’s skin issues and their solutions.
When it comes to men’s skincare problems, as with everything, there’s a cause and a fix. Whether it be your antagonising acne, that unsightly razor burn or simply a case of premature wrinkles, we’ve all got something about our skin that we’d like improved.
With this in mind; we’ve broken down some of the most common men’s skin issues around, a little bit about what you can do to prevent them, and some handy products to get things moving in the right direction.
How ingrown hairs are caused: An ingrown hair is caused when a follicle becomes blocked, forcing the hair to grow back in on itself or sideways under the skin.
How to fix ingrown hairs: Ensure to exfoliate well both before and after shaving as well as shaving with the grain can help to prevent ingrown hairs. Most tend to disappear by themselves after some time, if not – visit your GP.
- Skin Doctors InGrow Go: Helps to remove ingrown hairs as well as killing any infection, removing bumps and reducing redness.
- BeanBody MAN Scrub: A 100% natural body exfoliant that’ll help to prevent ingrown hairs after shaving your body by removing dead skin and preventing follicle blocking.
How wrinkles are caused: Skin looses the ability to bounce back over time, but this can be hastened by smoking, sun damage, alcohol and other environmental factors.
How to fix wrinkles: There’s a mind-boggling amount of fixes and supposed remedies, creams, treatments, etc. but, as with most things, prevention is always better than cure so avoid the above to help yourself in the long run.
- Anthony Anti-Wrinkle Glycolic Peptide Serum: High-performance serum packed with peptides and other beefy skin saving ingredients to primarily relax and reduce wrinkles alongside a host of other skin benefits.
- Verso Day Cream with Retinol 8: Fortifies and nourishes skin, as well as promoting increased cell activity, repairing sun damage and, most importantly, smoothing and reducing wrinkles.
- SkinChemists Advanced Caviar Duo Moisturiser: Packed with goodies like aloe vera, caviar and seaweed extract; this intensive gel-like moisturiser will not only smooth out fine wrinkles but also gently repair, deeply hydrate and protect the skin from any further damage.
How is acne caused: While the list of factors that can contribute to acne is endless, fundamentally acne is caused by a blocking of a follicle or pore with excess oil and dirt. This allows bacteria to gather forming pimples, white or blackheads.
How to fix acne: For adults eating a good diet, drinking plenty of water and avoiding rress can all help. For teenagers, however, acne is often worsened by hormones – with which, there’s little that can be done.
- Skin Genius: Natural skin care line that’s designed to clean acne prone skin without stripping it of all natural oils.
- Accumax: Supplement containing skin-nourishing vitamins A, C & E alongside active acne fighting ingredients to reduce and prevent further outbreaks.
- Sebopure: Fights acne from the source by purifying the oils released from the skin to prevent irritation.
- Bulldog Oil Control Blemish Targeter: Packed with spot fighting ingredients like witch hazel and juniper to target individual areas and soothe / minimise visible irritation.
- BRYT Skincare: Particularly useful for adults with acne prone skin and packed full of skin nourishing ingredients, BRYT will help with skin sensitivity, dry patches and acne without disturbing your skin’s natural defence.
How razor burn is caused: Razor burn is caused when skin and hair follicles are damaged through the usage of dirty or blunt blades. This causes unsightly redness as well as raised skin and stinging sensations.
How to fix razor burn: Razor burn is best avoided by using quality, sharp razors. Alongside this, using a good shaving foam or gel, applying a post shave balm followed by a moisturiser can prevent razor burn from flaring up.
- Sudocrem Skin Cream Care: While the list of Sudocrem’s uses is endless, it lends itself particularly well to razor burn affected skin with its antiseptic and irritation reducing properties.
- Bio Essence Oil Control Cleansing & Shaving Foam: By cleansing and adding a pre-shave foam all in one, the chances of irritation are greatly lessened thanks to properly treated, shave-ready skin.
- Hawkins & Brimble Post Shave Balm: Nourishes and soothes skin after shaving, reducing visible redness and bumps.
- Big Boy Aftershave Balm: Unique blend of natural ingredients that prevent skin redness as well as acting as an anti-inflammatory, leaving your post-shave skin feeling soft, fresh and irritation-free.
How is oily skin caused: Oily skin can be caused by a plethora of reasons from diet to weather, stress, hormones, genetics, incorrect products, etc.
How to fix oily skin: In itself, oily skin isn’t a massive problem. Acne and other problems inflated by oily skin, however, can become issue. The key is in using the right products for your skin to keep the visible oil at bay.
- Anthony Instant Fix Oil Control: Reduces appearance of oil and pores, giving skin a matte finish.
- Bulldog Oil Control Face Mask: Used when needed, it helps to remove excess oil from skin while simultaneously giving a deep, oil reducing clean.
- Sukin Mattifying Facial Moisturiser: Quick absorbing moisturiser containing rice powder and moringa to give day-long matte finish.
- Formula 10.0.6 Seriously Shine Free Moisturiser: Daily moisturiser that prevents oily looking skin by reducing shine, and pore size thanks to it’s oil absorbing bamboo extract.
Dark Circles Under Eyes
How dark circles are caused: In the case of dark circles, there’s a seemingly endless number of reasons they appear including; hereditary, lifestyle, poor diet, lack of sleep, poor skin care, stress, sun damage, iron deficiencies and the list goes on…
How to fix dark circles: Alongside the numerous reasons they form, thankfully, there’s also an abundance of ways to get rid of them. We’d prioritise getting better sleep, eating better and drinking plenty of water; followed by the addition of the below solutions.
- Menage Anti-Fatigue Eye Roll Gel: Delivers a powerful punch of ingredients including their own patented copper PCA which prevents free radical damage; leaving you with younger looking, bright and alert eyes.
- Bulldog Original Eye Roll-On: Natural-based eye roller packed with powerhouses like ginseng root extract and avocado oil will reduce darkness, puffiness and wrinkles around the eyes within a few weeks use – win!
- Janjira Brightening Eye Lift: In a typical Janjira approach, their bright eye lift gel will boost brightness around the eyes like no other with the unique Algowhite™ ability to inhibit melanin production.
- Transformulas Eye Lifting Gel: With a nickname life ‘eye lift in a tube’ floating around, you know that this option means business. You can expect tightened skin, reduced wrinkles, reduced puffiness and general radiance around the eyes to name a few.
How sun damage is caused: Pretty self-explanatory, don’t be heading out in the sun without any form of SPF – even when it’s overcast.
How to fix sun damage: There’s a selection of creams that’ll gradually help reverse damage and pigmentation, for more substantial results a trip to a professional is likely necessary.
- Strip Laser: With several locations around London, Strip brings out the (virtually painless!) big guns with their GentleMax laser which targets sun damaged skin to greatly reduce, and even completely remove sun related pigmentation. Bolder than the other options, but for quick, noticeable results – Strip‘s laser service is unrivalled.
- Obagi Professional-C Serum 10%: Alongside defending against UVA and UVB rays, this potent serum contains a host of strong ingredients that reduce skin damage, ageing as well as preventing and repairing cell damage.
- Obagi-C Rx C-Cleansing Gel with Vitamin C: While a quality standalone cleanser, this is primarily made to enhance and prepare the skin for the previous serum.
- SkinCeuticals Phyto Corrective Mask: A strong cocktail of botanical ingredients, this cooling gel will rehydrate and nourish recently damaged skin, just as ideal for after a day out in icy wind as it is after a day in the sun.
All of the Above?
UniverSkin: The future of skincare? We think so. Universkin is a completely new approach to skincare developed by a board of surgeons, dermatologists, pharmacists and other medical professionals with the aim of offering completely unique skincare to each customer, targeted at their own specific issues and concerns.
Due to the products potency and completely unique nature of each person’s skin, a consultation is required before you can purchase any products. Dr. Rita Rukus has spearheaded the range’s entry into the British capital, offering visitors the chance to try out the future of skincare themselves.
You can expect to be scanned, analysed and quizzed on lifestyle factors in order to find the perfect match for your skin. You’ll then receive a day and night moisturiser, day and night serum and a 50 SPF sunscreen to prevent any other damage. Moving forward, this can then be tweaked to address any other concerns.
PAUSE have tried this skincare regime for themselves for over two months now. It’ll address any of the issues above, alongside a host more. Hands down, it’s one of the fixes for problematic skin currently on the market.