Everything you should know.
Following months of speculation, Sunday 23rd February marked a momentous time in fashion history, as news broke that Raf Simons will be joining Prada in a co-director role that will see him share design responsibility with Miuccia Prada. With the luxury fashion house announcing that the co-creative directors will be debuting their first collection for Spring/Summer 2021 womenswear, in Milan in September, here’s what you should know about this uncommon partnership that could reshape the fashion world:
- In this new partnership, Raf Simons will be working alongside Miuccia Prada with equal responsibilities for creative decision-making.
- Effective from 2nd April 2020, the pairs first show will be in September 2020 for the Spring/Summer 2021 womenswear presentation in Milan.
- Simons’ acquisition marks the luxury fashion houses first major design talent from outside the Prada family to join the house since its inception.
- Raf Simons is expected to continue to design for his eponymous label.
- Simons’ relationship with the Prada group dates back to 2005, when Miuccia Prada hired the Belgian designer to head up the then Prada Group controlled Jil Sander label.
- Pieter Mulier, Simons’ right-hand man, will not be joining the designer in his new designer role at Prada.
- While many experts have speculated that this appointment might be signalling the retirement of Miuccia Prada, the designer has said “Absolutely not. I like working, and I’m very excited, and this will bring new wind.”
- The length of Raf Simons’ contract with Prada remains unclear, with the label adding that it could theoretically last for life and result in the smooth passing of the torch.
Read more about Raf Simons Prada appointment here.
PHOTO CREDIT: Courtesy of BOF // PRADA