Teeth Whitening Simplified.
Whether through the likely combination of coffee, cigarettes and carbonated drinks or simply a case of worn down tooth enamel; yellowish teeth are a problem that plague the nation. Needless to say, the list of positives associated with a gleaming white smile is pretty substantial; besides shedding 5 years off your age, 73% of us consider a nice smile among the most appealing of traits in a potential partner.
With reasons like the above, it’s no wonder that there are so many whitening products on the market – but how to sort the good from the bad? Let’s take a look at some of the best teeth whitening products around.
1: Upgrade Your Brushing Routine
Probably the most straightforward way to approach teeth whitening at home, you’re brushing your teeth twice daily as it is, so why not maximise your work?
- Toothbrush: Go electric. Besides the fact that it’ll ensure you’re brushing for the correct amount of time, the added motion of an electric toothbrush will prevent stains setting in the first place as well as helping to lift older ones. A leader? The Foreo Issa 2 boasts a 365-day charge and utilises silicone for a cleaner, sensitive suited scrub.
- Toothpaste: Pretty self-explanatory, opt for specifically tailored whitening options such as Pearl Drop’s new Pure Natural White which is about as nasty free as you can get in a toothpaste, Janina’s Ultrawhite for those tougher stains or the bright and bold Be You collection from Curaprox – coming in six different flavours while simultaneously brightening up any bathroom.
#2: Try Home Treatments
While it’s easy to find a bleach kit that’ll leave your teeth sat in peroxide for 40 minutes, for obvious reasons – it’s advised to leave this to the pros. Check out some more subtle options available that won’t destroy your teeth in the process.
- Used in place of your toothpaste, Billion Dollar Smile’s Charcoal Tooth Polish contains a blend of coconut oil, charcoal and pineapple enzyme among others to gently, and gradually brighten your teeth.
- While not necessarily a ‘treatment’ per se, Pro Teeth Whitening Co.’s Activated Charcoal Mouthwash will accelerate the whitening process when used as part of a good dental regime. Pair with others on this list or explore the brand’s expansive, and incredibly efficient products for best results.
- A newcomer to the teeth whitening scene, Bella Brighton’s Teeth Whitening Powder utilises ingredients like charcoal, hyaluronic acid & MSM to whiten, strengthen and otherwise promote a healthy, happy smile.
#3: Consider Natural Techniques
While several foods such as beetroot, berries and oranges can damage/stain teeth, others can have the opposite effects.
Dairy, strawberries, lemon and raw veggies are all going to be beneficial for your dental health and overall whiteness. Whether you opt to eat the aforementioned options or smear a strawberry smush on your teeth for 20 mins (a la Tyra Banks), either way, they’ll gradually help brighten things up.
Other options include oil pulling – swishing coconut/olive oil in the mouth for 20 minutes every day – or brushing your teeth with baking soda every once in a while. Both have their set of super fans and sceptics so it’s worth reading up before you jump the gun.